The Levey Mansion

On the corner of 29th and Meridian Streets, the stately Louis H. Levey Mansion serves as a tangible remnant of a bygone era.  Sagamore Institute is proud to be rooted in the Heartland and firmly fixed in the narrative of Indianapolis’ rich tradition of civic renewal.

Living History

Originally built in the early 20th century by Indianapolis businessman Louis H. Levey, the mansion remains an integral part of what is today known as Historic Square. The legacy began when Mr. Levey joined his illustrious neighbor, Charles W. Fairbanks, in hosting such luminaries as Fairbanks' former boss, President Teddy Roosevelt. Upon entry to our new headquarters, visitors will view a splendid photo of these three men on the front lawn, following the Roosevelt-Fairbanks White House administration. 

Completed between 1905 and 1906, the mansion features Beaux-Arts architecture and draws upon Italian Renaissance Revival style. The façade of the mansion is course-cut Indiana limestone and the building’s structure is brick. The interior was built and decorated to display the wealth and taste of its owners, from the exquisite stained glass skylight above the grand staircase to the onyx and ormolu fireplace imported from a European palace.

The Pilgrim Life Insurance Company, Indianapolis Life Insurance Company, and the International Medical Group were prominent owners of the mansion during the second half of the 20th century. Sagamore Institute will continue their tradition of preserving history while offering a meeting place for local and national leaders interested in improving society.

Get directions to the Levey Mansion, view the parking map for events, or take a photo tour.

  • Find us on Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Subscribe via RSS

Sagamore Institute

2902 N. Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46208 | 317.472.2050 |  | 501 (c)(3)

© All rights reserved.  |  Library  |  Contact  |  Donate  |  Subscribe